Will I receive training on a Canal Boat Holiday?
To make your stay as comfortable and relaxing as possible you will receive face to face training and one clear document that will help guide you through your holiday, everything from how to steer the boat to how you make the beds up. You will also receive hands on training as there are some things that will be easier to show you. We will also point you towards the most helpful of tutorials either on line or on DVD before your stay.
There are various ways in which you can prepare for your canal boat holiday, one of which is to watch the “Youtube” video of the “Boaters Handbook DVD” which should help you understand the basics of boating life. This can be viewed by clicking the following button
The Ashby Canal is a Lock free canal so there may only be a few instances that require you to use the on-board winding / lock keys and this will also be explained as a matter of course.
You will receive training before and during your stay on the Narrowboat in the following areas…
1) Safety – How to stay safe when on-board and off the boat.
2) Gas – How to operate the cooker and gas bottles.
3) Waste Water – An explanation on where it goes and how to empty the holding tanks.
4) Fire – Where to find the Fire Blankets and Extinguishers.
5) Heating – Heating controls and operation.
6) Toilets – How to Operate.
7) Electrical – Where they are located and how to keep batteries charged.
8) Sleeping – How to make up the beds and how to configure the layouts.
9) Alcohol and Drugs – An explanation of your requirements whilst in charge of the Narrowboat.
10) Points of interest – Where to eat and drink and other points of interest.
You will also learn how to open and maintain the weed hatch which is located at the back end of the boat just in-case you pick up any obstructions in the water.
A basic Android tablet with the canal route app will be provided on all rentals. This app will allow you to view places nearby in greater detail and will give you a GPS location. In the event of an emergency whereby we have to reach you it will be easier to locate you with this app.
When Hiring a canal boat in the Midlands you will have access to the main artery of the canal network so if you are staying for a while the whole network is accessible.
A Canal Boat holiday on the Ashby canal is the perfect introduction to narrowboat life.